Friday, April 24, 2009

reemasen intervives

reemasen intervives

What a transformation it is of a teen girl who made her debut along with the teenage sensation Uday Kiran in media baron Ch. Ramoji Rao's Chitram directed by debutante Teja, now a popular director. The twelfth standard girl (from the film) falls in love with a fellow classmate and even bears a child to the shock of everybody defying the elders but supported from a humane angle by her teachers and fellow students has shot into fame in Andhra Pradesh with her very first film. Again she is one actress today more in demand in Tamil films than in her alma mater Telugu cinema, this despite having fairly good ratio of successes. That defies logic. But what to do our heroes know pretty well in order to camouflage their own jaded faces, they have to go for new heroines who preferably are of half their age! As the Bengali beauty walks in for the shoot at a popular studio in Chennai, you find that there is obviously some thing more than just physical beauty in her, her alluring smile and instant rapport will automatically draw one's attention towards her. A spontaneous actress, she says that it is the observation power coupled with intelligence and understanding of human psyche helps her perform better in the roles offered to her. On the sets she is friendly with every one right from the top echelon who matter down to the light boy and unit hands. She pats the small boy who brought the tea and awed by her touch the boy is full of shy smile.She nonchalantly moves forward greets the camera assistants even as her hair dresser adjusts her plaits. "Rare to find such heroines without any airs, she greets us, talks to us and even cuts jokes with us at times. When she is present on the sets, it is full of fun," coos a unit assistant, bowled over by her simplicity. Be it as the bubbly girl in that runaway hit, Manasantha Nuvve with her first film hero, Uday Kiran or as the sensuous wife of debut hero Vishal, coping up with a psychopath (Bharath) in Chellamay she displayed gritty performance that went well with the audience. Reema Sen unwinds in between the takes. "After completing plus two from St. Thomas Convent in Kiddarpore, Kolkata, I landed in Mumbai to modeling for about 30 commercials. It is here that Teja spotted me and took me as the heroine for his debut film. I was 17 then. Many people said that Teja is a strict disciplinarian and short tempered on the sets. But he was never rude to me. In fact, he pampered me and tolerated my tantrums on the sets and treated me just like the school kid in the film. May be that helped me give a neat portrayal. I was supposed to do one more film with him with Nitin as the hero, but there was this problem about the dates. Hope one day, he will write a script for me." In these five years since she entered films, Reema had done about twenty two films in four languages Hindi, Telugu, Tamil and one film in Kannada ("News" with Upendra). "Some of them were very big hits. I have had a great run for a beginner within a short time and it is very easy run too." However well she performed, the glam puss tag still haunts her. "I can't understand why this glam heroine tag stuck on me. Every heroine has to have this glamour on screen. There is a difference between gamour and vulgarity. In none of my films, I was vulgar nor I was shown in odd angles.(even in the song sequence in "Chellamay" where she dances with just a towel on her, she looked sensuous than vulgar). Glam is part and parcel of the entertainment industry why crib about it. I believe that glam is some thing that comes from within. You may be fully covered, but you may look sensuous. In "Minnale" (Tamil) there is a song, "Vaseegara" filmed on me and Maddy (Madhavan). We both shared only about 30 per cent of the frames in the song, the rest was shot separately on us but I feel that song is the ultimate in glam. I think my plus point is surely not glamour but it is just like add on credit card." At the height of her career, Reema had done some item numbers to the surprise of everybody. "Most producers approach popular stars for item songs to make use of their star power or popularity. I have done them in all the three languages – Tamil (Jay Jay). Telugu (Anji) and in Hindi (Aan). But I am not accepting them anymore." Suddenly she turns a good host and enquires whether we are comfortable in the ambience. Our conversation then turns to the type of acting she prefers, having displayed a wide variety of emotions besides entertaining the youth with her scintillating dance numbers in duets. "Dance… I have not learnt any dance form," she retorts. Aren't the steps, the pelvic gyrations and the brisk movements they do for the song sequences come under dance? "Oh… you mean that. Yes they are part of the entertainment that a movie provides. But look at the variety roles I did in such a short time. "In Chitram I played a teenage girl carrying a baby, in 'Minnale' it was a sensuous role. In "Manasantha Nuvve" I was college going girl next door, in "Dhoo" and its Telugu remake, "Veede" I was the star struck slum girl and in 'Chellamay' I played a married woman. I had an exciting role in "News" and I did a role as a north Indian lady in the Tamil Telugu bilingual, "Giri." "I do not believe in method acting," says the brainy actress. "Neither do I do any homework. To tell you honestly I do not have the patience for that," she laughs. "I am a spontaneous actor. I just come to the sets, listen to what I have to do from the director. Before enacting the scene, I just imagine the situation happening to me and then perform. There is no limitations for spot improvisations. I think I have a fairly good amount of intelligence to grasp and a little bit of understanding human psychology. As a child she was an ardent fan of Sunny Deol. "I have had this childhood crush on Sunny Deol. But I never thought I would get into acting with him. For "Jaal" they needed a very young girl to play opposite a middle aged hero as per the script. When cinematographer Ravi Yadav mentioned this to me I jumped at the offer. I was so excited. I have acted in four Hindi films Hum Hogaye Aap Ke," "Jaal," "Vava Ramji" and "Aan." I liked Ajay Devgun in "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam," so much so that I haven't seen any of his films after that just to preserve that feeling. My favourite heroine? It is Kajol." Reema says her ambition is to play the role of a psychopath. "I like such challenging roles. Hope some one will offer me one day," she says. She may have to wait for some more time to fulfill her ambition. As of now her fans and the producers would want to see her in roles that combine glam and grit as is evident from her current as signments be it in Tamil or Telugu

No comments:

Post a Comment