Friday, April 24, 2009

Pawan Kalyan speaks about his journey from Films to Politics

Pawan Kalyan speaks about his journey from Films to Politics

Power star Pavan Kalyan has been appointed as the chief of “Yuva Rajyam” the youth wing of Praja Rajyam Party led by his brother Chiranjeevi. Known for his volatility, Pavan Kalyan, in an exclusive interview to Deccan Post, for the first time spoke about his life, views and political tasks. Excerpts. Tell us about your journey from films to politics?It happened over a period of time. In fact, my entry into films too was not intentional because, I was never serious about acting and becoming a film star. I have grown up watching films and probably my brother Chiranjeevi’s entry into films and his emergence as a star may have influenced me. What are your interests?Basically, I am drawn towards social issues and the ups and downs in life. Even if not in politics, certainly I would have been in public service in one way or the other. You know, for me, pursuit of life is more important than success. Are you a deep thinker?It may be so. I used to ponder a lot on issues like why some people are born beautiful and others not. I spent a great deal of my life thinking about God and spirituality. I led the life of an ascetic for over a year. I was more influenced by William Thoreau’s Wallden Pond concept. I read many books on a range of subjects like philosophy. Who were the heroes that inspired you in your teens?I was attracted by freedom fighters like Bhagat Singh and Subhash Chandra Bose, of course, Mahatma Gandhi also. When I was 18 or 19, Leftist ideology inspired me, but at the same time, patriotism was always there. When did you get the idea of joining politics for the first time?It was a conscious call that I had four or five years ago. Though I was not politically inclined since childhood, I later realised that politics do dictate our public life. I also observed that the rural youth have a lot of passion and there is none to channel their energies in a proper direction. Would you have joined any other existing political party, if it was not your brother’s party?No, I would not have joined any other party. But, certainly I would have joined politics. I am so fascinated by this Deccan Plateau and its beautiful rock formations. In the name of development, politicians have destroyed all this. People have been pushed to misery. So, you have set an ambitious agenda for yourself?My task is to change a lot of existing things. More importantly the way people look at things – eliminate poverty. Now, no one cares for the common man and his plight. Human dignity has become unimportant now. I want this to be changed. Do you have any particular political ideology?I have studied all ideologies including that of RSS and the extreme Left. We do need ideologies as they help us in grappling with the problems of our country. But, I feel that any ideology cannot be blindly applied. Cultural context has to be kept in mind before applying any ideology. Now that you have been appointed as the president of Yuva Rajyam, youth wing of Praja Rajyam party (PRP). What are your tasks?My first concern is to bring the youth to politics and public service. I want to build the youth wing in a big way. I have long term plans for this. We want to train a large number of youth allover the state in a phased manner. They will be fully equipped to deal with any kind challenge to the society or the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment