Friday, April 24, 2009

Preity Zinta on her latest film

Preity Zinta on her latest film

The preity woman

Preity Zinta on her latest film Videsh, the Best Actress Award at the Chicago International Film Festival, and more


In the industry, there will always be someone younger and hungrier standing behind you. Ten years ago, I was that person; now it’s someone else

PHOTO: AFP CLOUD NINE Preity Zinta: ‘I was the first Indian to be nominated for the Genie Awards’

Preity Zinta has won the Best Actress Award in the Chicago International Film Festival for her role as a battered wife in Deepa Mehta’s “Videsh”. The film is based on true stories of women who faced domestic violence in a foreign la nd. The actor tells you why this film is special.

Today, young women work with actors aged 40 and above. Where does that leave senior actors such as you?

I said this when I entered the industry 10 years ago — there will always be someone younger and hungrier standing behind you. Ten years ago, I was that person; now it’s someone else. What I wanted then is not what I want now. I want different things today. There is a lot of potential in other things.

Once you achieve what you want to, you aim for something higher.

The buzz is you have signed a Yash Raj film with Aamir.

It’s just a rumour!

Of late, you’ve been doing different films, “Videsh” being the latest.

After playing an NRI girl in four films in a row, I got bored, and wanted a change. ‘Heroes’ and ‘Videsh’ gave me that opportunity. After this, I will have ‘Har Pall’ and ‘Main Aur Mrs. Khanna’ that are completely different. It will be fun to play an NRI girl again! (laughs)

You are playing a Punjabi girl again after “Heroes”. Was that easy?

I had to work on my Punjabi, because, contrary to popular belief, I don’t know Punjabi. I know only a few words such as Sat Sri Akal, balle balle, and chak de phatte. It was a departure from what I have done, but then, that’s what an actor’s job is about.

Were you apprehensive about working with a newcomer (Vansh Bhardwaj) in “Videsh”?

When I choose a script, I see where this film will take me as an actor. The director and cast are important, but you can’t sign films saying ‘I want only this actor’. I don’t think any established actor with an image would have worked for Vansh’s role. You needed somebody who would surprise you. When I am 80 years old, and look back, “Videsh” will be one of my memorable films. It doesn’t matter who else is there in the film; I am very proud of it.

Why do you say that?

“Videsh” is a huge departure from what I have done, in terms of the depth of the character. There are certain things we always brush under the carpet — unless we put them out in the open, I don’t think these matters will ever be dealt with.

Winning the Best Actress Award at the Chicago International Film Festival must have been quite an experience.

It feels great! I was the first Indian to be nominated for the Genie Awards (Canada). A lot of people came up to me and said: ‘Oh, you are an actress from India. Were have you been hiding all these years?’ It felt nice. Lots of Indians who watched the film too were appreciative. People are comparing “Videsh” with Aishwarya Rai’s “Provoked” since both deal with domestic violence.

Comparisons are bound to happen, but when people watch “Videsh”, they will know that these are very different films. It is not a film on just abuse. It deals with a lot of issues — immigration, the life of married young girls when they leave their countries etc.

Everyone’s preparing for the IPL. What about you?

I’m excited about IPL. Right now, our players are not here. . They’ll join us four days before the IPL begins.

Will you cheer for any team besides yours?

The cheers are obviously for your own child, but when my team is not playing I will cheer for anyone who hits a six or four

No comments:

Post a Comment